About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
I'm a Vietnam Vet, Retired Mainframe Programmer, Retired College Adjunct Teacher, Published Author, Adult Boy Scout Leader, Republican, Jewish, married with two magnificent grown kids.

Pokotiliva

I walked out of the building this morning and I was chatting with a Russian immigrant lady who lives on the floor. We were talking about the weather -- inconsequential stuff. She mentioned that she was from the Ukraine. I commented that my family was from there - a small town outside of Kiev called Pokotiliva.

The look on her face was like a punch to my stomach. She is old enought to have been there during WWII. I asked her if she knew the town and she nodded. Whenever I meet someone from that part of the world I always ask if they know of the town, no one ever does. I have never been able to find a reference to it on the internet.

"It's gone isn't it?"

She just nodded her head.