About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
I'm a Vietnam Vet, Retired Mainframe Programmer, Retired College Adjunct Teacher, Published Author, Adult Boy Scout Leader, Republican, Jewish, married with two magnificent grown kids.

Geek alert, Geek alert, Geek alert


OK, I'm a geek. I've been working around computers since, well, they had vacuum tubes in them. SO I'm going to wax philosophic about computers.

I'm working on an iMac 17" G4. Thanks to the software gods (note the small g) I can run simultaneously:

Mac OS X
Windows 2000
Windows XP Pro
Unix

All on the same screen at the same time! Now why do I need to, you ask - 2 reasons.

1. I frequently have to us Windows software for some tools that are not available on my mac - I can easily take output in .doc format from a windows window (?) and drag it to my OS X window. I can also go the other way.
2. Because I can!

I have 160 gigabytes of disk space and nearly a gig of memory - this is a friggen mainframe!

Now the best part - it's ergonomics. As I approach 60 (rapidly!) my eyesight gets worse. I wear bifocals.The G4 IMac has a movable screen that site on a little dome. (Note the picture above.) I can move the screen down so that I can read it without bending my head back. This means NO STIFF NECK when I spend an hour or two at the tube.

This is Geek heaven!